Glad to have you back for this week's IBM i Pulse! Each week we'll take a deeper look at the latest IBM i and Profound Logic news. This week we are looking at getting started with using Watson and the power of learning new skills in your IBM i shop.
From Our Experts:
- Alex Roytman recently wrote a piece on Building Real-World Cognitive Solutions for the latest COMMON Connect article.
Profound Logic News:
- Profound Logic and IBM Systems will partner together for a webinar on Adding Professional Services for Sure-Fire Project Success on March 25th, 2019. Register today!
- See how easy Integration with our Genie tool is while running a 5250 session.
- Learn The Secret to Building a Great Node.js App!
- This Profound Pro Tip discusses the Using Charts with Profound UI Designer
- Profound UI Version 6 has a new Fix Pack 2.1 that is available now!
Getting Started with Watson by Laura Ubelhor
Building a Positive Culture of Learning on IBM i by Alex Woodie
Mastering the skills that you need to perform your job can take years and can give you a sense of pride and accomplishment. But rarely do the skills you learned years ago continue to be the skills that you need to have today. This seems to be the biggest challenge facing IBM i shops today. Aging IBM i professionals who are getting ready to retire make up the majority of the professionals in the IBM i world, creating a real problem for those companies who employ them. At too many IBM i shops there is a crisis of stagnation of skills among the developers because they are ready to retire. If you are a 60-year-old RPG programmer who knows everything about RPG, it could be intimidating to learn a new language. To grow and compete in their industries, IBM i shops need to develop a mindset of always training and learning something new and create a culture of learning with their developers. This will give their business and their employees the tools to succeed far into the future.