IBM i News in Review: August 7 - 14
- IBM i Job Market: Not All Doom and Gloom
By: Alex Woodie
While there are challenges in entering the job market, IBM i professionals have the opportunity to maximize their unique skill set to employers.
- There's Something Happening Here
By: Dan Burger
An interview with Roxanne Lair from FIDM about keeping up-to-date with education at work.
- Busy Signals Coming from PowerRuby
By: Dan Burger
"The port of the Ruby language and the Ruby on Rails framework to IBM i 7.2 was just completed on June 7...Most of the early feedback from beta users related to difficulties setting up development environments and that was often pegged to the unfamiliar PASE/QSH command line. Some feedback exposed bugs in the install routines, which resulted in frequent updates."
- IBM Tweaks Power8 CPU And Memory Prices Up
By: Timothy Prickett Morgan
IBM changes prices for the memory and processing capacity for the new Power8 systems.
- Top 10 Reasons Why Rails on I is So Cool
By: Don Denoncourt
10 Reasons Don chooses to use Rails for IBM i:
1. Convention over Configuration
3. Interchangeable programmers
5. No vendor lock-in
7. The console
8. Develop production-quality apps while learning Rails
10. Rails works natively on the IBM i
IBM Systems Magazine:
- Larry Bolhuis on Power Systems Hardware and Frankie
By: Paul Tuohy
"Paul finds out why Power Systems servers are so great, the benefit of solid state drives, why hardware is important to IBM i in the cloud, and about strange goings on in the “lab” and the creation of the monster known as Frankie."