Introducing IBM i Pulse, a weekly bite-sized roundup of the latest headlines in the IBM i industry. Tune in every Monday to stay in the loop!
Top 5 New Technologies on the IBM i
by Alex Woodie
- Native Flash Storage
- Row and Column Access Control
- REST Web Services
IBM i Access Turns Its Attention To Database
by Dan Burger
- "As a general statement, the ACS tools are used primarily for 5250 emulation, data transfer, and system management. But there is another task it performs that, Rowe says, is not to be overlooked: database management, and it is becoming increasingly important."
NoSQL and JSON
by Troy Coleman
- "I've been doing some reading about NoSQL and how DB2 for z/OS will support it. This 2014 article examines the relationship between NoSQL and DB2 Java Scriipt Object Notation (JSON), and predicts that relational databases will begin to support JSON."
IBM i 6.1 Upgrades: What's In Your Box?
by Dan Burger
- "With IBM's official end of support for the IBM i 6.1 operating system coming up at the end of September, it's natural to wonder what effect this will have on the IBM i community. It's not exactly a long walk off a short pier for those organizations using 6.1 as their primary OS."
RDi Update (All Good This Time!)
by Jon and Susan
- "This is an update to our recent blog on some RDi Gotchas. Gotcha #1 - trouble downloading and/or installing the RDi trial code - particularly seemed to have struck a nerve. Good news! We now seem to have resolution on that..."
That's it for this week - See you next Monday!