You’re reading IBM i Pulse, our weekly bite-sized roundup of the latest headlines in the IBM i industry.
IBM i 7.2 TR3 – PurePower, BRMS Tiers, RPG
by Steve Will
- "IBM announces the Technology Refresh 3 for the IBM i 7.2 release, as well as TR 11 for 7.1. By this time, you will have gotten used to the strategy IBM adopted with the introduction of the 7.1 release in 2010: twice a year, in the spring and fall, we announce new support for the IBM i operating system..."
- "My blog today will discuss a few of the items at a high level. As always, with the high degree of function incorporated into this integrated operating system, the totality of the announcement is too big for one blog or one article..."
IBM i 7.2 TR3 and 7.1 TR11 Highlights
- "This announcement includes a lot of exciting features that are coming to IBM i and I recommend you read it, in addition to Steve Will’s blog."
- This week, I will review a couple highlights from the announcement. There are two things that I think many of you will find very exciting. They are:
- Additional IBM i Services
- IBM i Access Client Solutions is being enhanced to include the SQL Performance Center and Run SQL Scripts
IBM i Tech Refreshes Bring New Features to Explore
by Dan Burger
- "Free-form RPG continues to get a lot of attention, at least among the more progressive members of the IBM i community. What's widely considered as full support for free-form RPG was delivered in TR9 for 7.1 and TR1 for 7.2, which became available just about a year ago."
- "Although it is largely unseen and unacknowledged, the IBM i open source development community is making some noise. It's the platform's vital connection to the current IT environment and the future."
- "In the case of Access Client Solutions, enhancements are continual but are just getting to a place where the product should have been several years ago. Progress is progress, however. And here we have more steps in the right direction. SQL is playing a big role."
CAMSS in Conversation: Mobile
by Steve Pitcher
- "Joining me this week is IBM's Tim Rowe, Business Architect – Application Development and Systems Management for IBM i, to talk about mobile. Tim's team ensures that IBM i has the features it needs to enable its customers and ISVs to write modern applications and properly manage them."
History of RPG IV Part 6 - Looking to the Future
by Jon and Susan
- "Before starting into the topics I mentioned at the end of Part 5, I will just quickly mention one possible update to RPG IV that has not yet been formally announced."
- "So how do we know about it if IBM has not announced it? Well IBM recently began shipping version 9.5 of RDi (Rational Developer for i) and in doing so let the cat out of the bag a few days early in terms of the next RPG IV announcement."
That’s all for this week! Did we miss anything? Let us know what you think in the comments.