You’re reading IBM i Pulse, our weekly bite-sized roundup of the latest headlines in the IBM i industry. Let's start it off with some good news for all of us...
Power Systems Shows Growth Again For Big Blue
by Timothy Prickett Morgan
- "The good news is that the Power Systems division of IBM's Systems Group turned in its third consecutive quarter of revenue growth, something that the Power community of customers, resellers, and software developers most certainly want to see."
- "The bad news is that the rising U.S. dollar compared to other foreign currencies means that overseas sales translate into fewer greenbacks when sales are brought back to IBM's New York headquarters, masking that growth."
Academic Initiative Lives Up To Its Name
by Dan Burger
- "Skills replacement is something you have to plan for. Reacting to skills lost through retirement or other avenues is a too little, too late scenario."
- "You build a skills pipeline by bringing people into your organization and you move them along through the company. Aiding that effort is the IBM Power System Academic Initiative, which has been making some notable progress lately."
If Your IBM i Is Hacked, How Long Will It Be Before You Know?
by Robin Tatam
- "Before delving too far into a discussion about how to recognize when a hack occurs, it is critical to first acknowledge that hacking an IBM i server is even possible. For many, the term "hack" conjures up the image of hardened cyber-criminals covertly circumventing perimeter defenses;"
- "In my opinion, hacking describes any form of unauthorized access to data and programs, including when that access originates from inside the firewall, not just the exploitation of an inherent flaw in the operating environment."
REST: A Primer for Building Web and Mobile Apps
by David Shirey
- "REST is becoming the default architecture to use for web apps today, particularly mobile. But what is REST, and how can you use it?"
- "REST rests on four basic principles, and any web service that meets these criteria can be considered RESTful...."
And that's it for this. week If there are other topics that you'd like us to gather or anything else we can add, let us know in the comments below.