You’re reading IBM i Pulse, our weekly bite-sized roundup of the latest headlines in the IBM i industry.
IBM i Tech Refresh Reiterates Database Emphasis
by Dan Burger
- "Whether or not the majority of IBM i shops have an interest in SQL, IBM continues to make database enhancements its top priority as it rolls out new Technology Refreshes for its eponymous Power Systems operating system."
- "On the way to answering that question, let's take a look at the services that will be available when TR11/TR3 becomes available next month."
- Work with Object Locks (WRKOBJLCK) detail enables application developers and system administrators to capture, understand, and resolve sporadic timing issues.
- Work with System Status (WRKSYSSTS) detail provides critical systems management insight.
- Work with Output Queues (WRKOUTQ) detail enables improved systems management solutions.
- Work with TCP/IP Network Status (NETSTAT) provides the critical information about the system network health.
- Work with System Activity (WRKSYSACT) details provide critical system activity insight.
- Work with License Information (WRKLICINF) provide key details on licensing information on the system.
- Work with Media Library Status (WRKMLBSTS) provides details on the media library status on the system.
IBM i Added To Power S822, PurePower Systems
by Timothy Prickett Mrogan
- "Since the entry Power8 machines launched early last year, we have been arguing that Big Blue needs to offer IBM i on a larger span of the Power Systems machines it has in the portfolio. Customers should be able to device which is the best box for them..."
- "Supporting IBM i on the Power S822 is a good compromise. Rather than just let customers go nuts, however, IBM is putting some caveats on the IBM i software running on the Power S822 machine."
What's New in DB2 for i with TR3
by Scott Forstie
- "With the announcement of IBM i 7.1 Technology Refresh (TR) 11 and IBM i 7.2 Technology Refresh (TR) 3, IBM has attempted to answer some basic questions:
- Why should I care?
- What can I do differently?
- How does this help me?"
- "These questions might seem painfully vapid, but they're actually an essential part of achieving our goal of having you adopt these new and improved technologies. I am willing to be reasonable and accept that not every enhancement you're about to discover below will amaze you. Hopefully, your time investment of reading this article will result in some interest or curiosity to explore the latest and greatest from DB2 for i."
IBM Announces Linux Servers and OS Updates
by Tami Deedricb
- "Today, IBM announced several new solutions to help clients stay ahead in a world that doesn’t want to wait for answers. The solutions revolve around data, cloud and open collaboration."
- "IBM believes data is the new competitive advantage, cloud is the new approach to agility and open collaboration is the new path to innovation."
That’s all for this week! Did we miss anything? Let us know what you think in the comments.