Glad to have you back for this week's IBM i Pulse! Each week we will be taking a deeper look at the latest IBM i and Profound Logic news.
From Our Experts:
- Ted Holt continues his Guru series for IT Jungle on Table Value Constructors Build Tables on the Fly.
- Brian May discusses Making Node.js a Business Application Language in his latest MC Press article.
Profound Logic News:
- Profound UI Version 6 is now available! Check out what we have updated.
- Make sure to register for Scott Klement's upcoming webinar on Delivering Modern IBM i Business Apps with Profound UI Version 6 taking place on July 11th.
- Ted Holt gives you an Intro to Profound UI's Genie which gives your green-screen interfaces a more modern browser based look.
- See how easy it is to Install Profound UI and Profound.js with this video!
- Learn about Profound.js API Intellisense in Visual Studio Code with this Profound Pro Tip.
CJ Silverio, CTO of NPM Inc., was recently interviewed by the Node.js Foundation on here thoughts about how NPM and Node.js work so well together, and her thoughts on the Node.js community as a whole. The growth of Node.js can be easily connected to the NPM as we have seen an incredible increase in NPM packages being downloaded. In April of this year, there were over 5 billion packages downloaded in a 7-day span and on average there are 3 billion packages downloaded a week. the growth of NPM and Node.js is synergistic as one usually comes with the other. This is a great insight into the mind of someone on the forefront of this humongous growth!
2018 Node.js User Survey Report by Node.js Foundation
The Node.js Foundation released their annual User Survey Report that included developer productivity and satisfaction. Here are some of the highlights from the User Survey Report:
- Keywords developers used in describing Node.js: "Fast," "Easy," "Awesome," "Fun," "Powerful," and "Flexible."
- Web applications are the most popular use for Node, where 85% of developers indicated that they use Node for web applications. 43% of those surveyed indicated that they use Node for enterprise applications.
- Integration with databases, front-end frameworks, and load balancing are at the forefront of technology that is integrated with Node.js.
- Most developers, particularly those in Latin America and EMEA, expect a sharp increase in the use of Node.js.
- It is becoming more and more important for users to manage different packages for multiple environments. NPM is the most widely used package manager as of right now (see above article).