Glad to have you back for this week's IBM i Pulse! Each week we will be taking a deeper look at this week's IBM i news. This week we are looking at future proofing your RPG, IoT information, and business use of AI. But First...
Ted Holt has another great article on IT Jungle, this time Ted discusses Legible Hexadecimal. Enjoy!
7 Keys to Future-Proofing Your RPG Applications
by Jon Paris
Future proofing your RPG is helpful on many levels. It can make your applications more resilient, easier to maintain and allow you to keep up with the ever changing technology out there. If you choose to not future proof your RPG, you are putting your applications in jeopardy of becoming obsolete and wasting time and money in transitioning to less capable platforms. But how do you go about future proofing your RPG applications? Where do you even begin? This article walks you through 7 keys to helping you take your RPG to the next level.
- Use Modern RPG Techniques - This includes things like converting your RPG/400 to RPG IV and coding all RPG in free-form.
- Establish a Reusable Function Library - Once you start structuring your applications around sub procedures, it becomes natural to seek out those routines that have utility outside the programs for which they were developed.
- Explore Db2 and SQL - Make sure you explore how to use both sets of database accesses.
- Modernize your Tool Set - Some tools to think about are RDi and GIT. Modernizing your tools, can make your RPG use easier.
- Enhance User Interface - Modernizing your user interface can help your employees do their jobs better and can help attract new developers. Modernizing UI's is what we do here at Profound Logic, if you are in need of a modernization plan, give us a call.
- Learn Another Language - Don't replace RPG, just augment it.
- Exploit Open Source - Take advantage of the hundreds (if not thousands) of applications. Node.js can help you integrate these apps into your IBM i with the help of our Profound.js Converter.
Want to do IoT right? You'll need more storage, networking, servers, and cloud.
by Connor Forrest
Interested in using IoT for your IBM i? WithProfound.js you now have that ability! But, before you get to excited, you will want to make sure you create a plan to connect your Internet of Things to your IBM i. Recently a report said that the massive amount of data that has been created by the Internet of Things (IoT) can have huge impacts on your enterprise IT. Here are some of the highlights from that report:
- If your company is interested in investing in IoT then you need to increase your storage capacity, network edge equipment, server infrastructure, and cloud infrastructure. 32% of companies using IoT plan to increase their storage capacity. 30% are planning to increase their network edge equipment, 29% plan on increasing infrastructure, and 27% plan on increasing their cloud infrastructure.
- 2/3's of companies keep their IoT data on-premises while the other third are looking to move their data to public cloud. Cloud storage was often used for historical use such as regulatory reporting and trend analysis and can offer cost savings for a company.
- Demand for IoT experts and data processing at the edge is increasing. "Companies are processing IoT workloads at the edge today to improve security, process real-time operational action triggers, and reduce IoT data storage and transport requirements," Rich Karpinski, research director for Voice of the Enterprise: Internet of Things. More then 50% of surveyed companies feel that there is a skills shortage for IoT currently.
This recent report shows there is a high demand for IoT in the IT world, and it seems to continue to grow. Utilizing it's power is not easy, you will need plenty of storage, networking, servers, clouds, and a great plan to implement. Along with the report findings this article also gives you a video about the best ways to learn to develop on IoT.
How Other Business are Using AI
by Laura Delallo
This great interactive article gives you a chance to see how other business are using AI technology. This interactive information display gives you the ability to see how businesses use AI in their business function, goals, and technology.
This is a great article to compare and contrast how other businesses use AI compared to how you would like to use AI for your own company.
November 15th-17th Profound Logic will be hosting our 2nd annual PLUS Seminar for their customers. Get the most value from your Profound Logic investment and assure your modernization success. Register here today!
One of our focuses for 2017 is the continued adoption of Node.js in IBM i shops. Click here to read our white paper on Why Node.js Is The Solution Your Company Needs.
Also, Profound.js 2.0 has been released! See how Profound.js 2.0 can help modernize your IBM i today!
And there, you're all caught up! Sounds like we have an interesting 2017!