Glad to have you back for this week's IBM i Pulse! Each week we will be taking a deeper look at the latest IBM i and Profound Logic news.
From Our Experts:
- Ted Holt discusses RDI and Refactoring in his latest Guru blog for IT Jungle.
Profound Logic News:
- IT Jungle follows up there article Tesla Teases IBM i Software Vendor into Experimental Coding with the Reader Feedback on Tesla IBM i Software Vendor.
- New on-demand webinar available: Make Applications You'll Love with RPG and Node.js
- Modularize Your IBM i Code with the Profound.js Converter with this video.
- Alex Roytman shows you the secret to building a database-driven single-page Node.js application.
- Profound UI 5.14 is now available! Learn more about the latest version here or Download the latest version.
- Learn how to Update Profound UI Easily with this Profound Pro Tip.
3 Ways IoT Makes Life Simpler by John Walicki
When we discuss Internet of Things (IoT) some of the first things that come to mind are Amazon's Alexa and Google Home. These types of devices are making our everyday lives simpler and easier to manage by doing simple tasks like scheduling appointments, setting reminders, and ordering products. But, IoT is going farther beyond just voice commanded devices. Here are 3 ways that IoT is making our lives simpler:
- Smart Homes - Besides the use of in-home devices like Alexa and Google Home, IoT devices are making smart homes even smarter. Temperature controlled rooms, lighting adjustments, smart appliances like refrigerators and washing machines. All are now able to gather data and make adjustments to our home lives.
- Cognitive Commerce - IoT devices are being developed to help expedite the buying process for consumers. Things like buying gas, paying for parking meters, and even grocery shopping will soon be as easy as walking into a room.
- Work Data - Numerous devices are being developed to help track and manage things like inventory and data at work. This allows employees to easily access information as well as documenting incoming data.
Profound.js allows you to easily connect the data on your IBM i to any IoT device and take full advantage of this new technological revolution.
Node.js Project Introduces Node.js 10 by Node.js Foundation
This week the Node.js Foundation released Node.js 10 release line which will become the new active Long Term Support release line. This newest update comes with several new features and improvments including:
- N-API adds ABI stability to Node.js; helps module maintainers and production deployments
- Modernized cryptographic support
- Error Handling Improvements
- Performance Improvements
- Improved diagnostics trace and post mortem
- Npm version 6 coming to Node.js 10.x release line
- Experimental Promisfied Versions of the ‘fs’ Functions